Wednesday, 17 November 2021

Colwyn Bay .... No Dog Fouling!


This sign was erected by someone who placed it right in the center of the town! I wonder if they stood on something nasty?

We Salute You, and all those we died for us, we will never forget


Our War memorial which once stood in front of the former council buildings before it was moved to the park.

Llandudno .... Griff Rhys Jones OBE Joins Fight To Save Art Deco House!


Joan Bakewell has also backed the campaign to save the Art Deco gem.

So wonderful to see so many people from the UK joining forces against these greedy, ruthless developers that want to tear this stunning house down for a block of flats. The council has now been inundated with objections.

Well done to Glenda Tobin and the people at the new heritage group Conwy County Heritage Watch for fighting against these scum

Planning link, https://npe.conwy.gov.uk/Northgate/EnglishPlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning%20Applications%20On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=521927&XSLT=/Northgate/EnglishPlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Conwy/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning%20Application%20Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=/Northgate/EnglishPlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Conwy/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

The Address is ,57 Marine Drive, Rhos On Sea, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, LL28 4HT

Email https://www.conwy.gov.uk/en/Resident/Planning-Building-Control-and-Conservation/Planning-Applications/Comment-on-a-Planning-Application.aspx

Please make sure you put your name, address, contact details on the email, Thank You

The petition link is here https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/conwy-council-reject-the-application-to-demolish?fbclid=IwAR3-qEtMbHzW4KxIitnPcvwTT2EMY44gHtKVZRVCZGy6UD7Im073VTvOC9Y




 

Sunday, 14 November 2021

Llandudno ....Police probing break-in at high street jewellery store!


Sad news, I hope the owners were not harmed, but with all the drug users in the town, it had to happen.

But for shop workers, this sort of thing can cause lifelong trauma. I hope these scum are caught soon,.

Police have launched an investigation into a suspected late-night break-in at a well-known high street jeweler.

Officers swooped on the Goldsmiths store in Mostyn Street, Llandudno, at about 8.30pm last night (November 12).

Armed police, dog handlers, and firefighters attended the incident and a stretch of the street was cordoned off. But it is not believed that any watches, necklaces, or other items were taken.

Today a North Wales Police spokesman said inquiries are ongoing.

He said firefighters reported an alarm going off at Goldsmiths and told police at 8.37pm last night.

Officers went to the scene and found smoke had been activated as part of the security system.

Officers investigating an incident on Mostyn Street, Llandudno
Officers investigating an incident on Mostyn Street, Llandudno 

The force spokesman said police have launched an investigation into a suspected break-in and inquiries are ongoing.

Last night, passersby spotted yellow police tape stretching between the stanchions under the verandah, outside shops on Mostyn Street,

Following last night's incident, the branch of Goldsmiths is understood to have been temporarily shut.

But this lunchtime a member of staff at Goldsmiths told North Wales Live that employees are "OK" and that they hope to re-open for business later today. (Saturday)

Goldsmiths have been trading since 1778.

From ....https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-probing-break-well-known-22158223


Thursday, 11 November 2021

Colwyn Bay .......Machete-wielding man wounded woman then offered her cash to withdraw complaint!


From ...... What a delightful human being! I hope he is given a long sentence.

A 20-year-old man has admitted wounding a woman and having a machete in Colwyn Bay.

Kelly Hughes pleaded guilty to the charges at Caernarfon Crown Court.

A judge today urged him to stop causing "chaos and mayhem" and adjourned his case for a pre-sentence report.

A 20-year-old man has admitted wounding a woman and having a machete in Colwyn Bay.

Kelly Hughes pleaded guilty to the charges at Caernarfon Crown Court.

A judge today urged him to stop causing "chaos and mayhem" and adjourned his case for a pre-sentence report.

The court heard that the seven months he has spent on remand in custody have allowed Hughes to "turn his life around" and "rehabilitate himself".

But the judge, Her Honour Judge Nicola Saffman, said she had not yet decided which sentence he will get.

She adjourned the case until later this month for a pre-sentence report.

She urged Hughes to be "frank and honest" with probation officers in making the report and not to minimize his offenses.

She wanted to be convinced he wishes to contribute to society "instead of causing chaos and mayhem wherever you go."

From .....https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/machete-wielding-man-wounded-woman-22124460

Llandudno ...... Broadcaster Baroness Joan Bakewell backs calls to save 'iconic' Art Deco house from demolition for flats!

 

Thank you Joan for taking the time to speak out about saving our Heritage. What a wonderful lady, shame on the developers who want to tear this building down for flats, all for profit. Total scum.

Broadcaster and journalist Joan Bakewell has added her voice to the outrage over plans to demolish an "iconic" art deco house designed by a famous Welsh architect.

The property in question is located in Rhos on Sea on the corner of Marine Drive and College Avenue and was designed by Sidney Colwyn Foulkes (1884-1971) who is known for his architecture around the area.

Developers Commercial Development Management wants to replace the house with five apartments and car parking, with plans submitted to Conwy County Council.

News that these plans were at an early consultation stage sparked outrage amongst local residents last month and the renowned broadcaster joined the cries for the building to be saved on Twitter last week.

Dame Joan Bakewell's tweet from last Wednesday 

The Labour peer wrote: "Oh a real loss if it goes! Isn't it listed? Does no one care?"

The house, which was built in 1939 and is located on the seafront, is not a listed building as things stand. Residents and the C20 Society, a charity that campaigns for 20th-century architecture, have written to the Council to object to the plans.

Following the announcement of the proposals last month, locals took to social media to express their concerns.

Glenda Tobin wrote on the Residents of Old Colwyn Past and Present Facebook group: "Very sad to hear that an application has been submitted to demolish this beautiful and rare art deco house (designed by Sydney Colwyn Foulkes) on the corner of College Avenue and replace with a new build.

"The house is listed on Coflein, the National Monuments Record for Wales."

She added: "That makes it a non-designated heritage asset.

"If it is noted by the National Monuments Record for Wales then it should be given the appropriate local protection."

Others backed Ms. Tobin's concerns.

One said: "This is absolutely awful. Why are they so determined to destroy these iconic buildings? So many Art Deco buildings have gone from around here; to be replaced by modern flats? Absolute madness."

Another added: "I love this house, how can they knock it down. It’s so beautiful and an iconic part of history."

From 

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/broadcaster-backs-calls-save-iconic-22122681


Wednesday, 10 November 2021

Colwyn Bay ..... Developer plans to build 100 homes on Rydal Penrhos Greenfield site as destruction of Conservation area continues!


So sad to see this Historic house turned into flats and not turned into a hotel, Also a large house is at risk and a former playing field.

Details have now emerged of plans for the future of Rydal Penrhos Preparatory School in Colwyn Bay.

The school is currently housed in what was originally the home of Lady Erskine, owner of the Pwllycrochan Estate. It later became the Pwllycrochan Hotel.

It became a prep school in 1953 but as part of a major restructuring of the school, it is proposed to move to a new building.

Castle Green – formerly Macbryde’s – the St Asaph-based development company is now seeking planning permission for 105 homes on the site.

The Grade-II listed building will be converted into 33 apartments. The modern outbuildings, mobile classrooms, and Erskine Cottage will be demolished and that land, along with the sports pitches, will be developed with 72 new houses.

In a joint pre-application consultation statement the company and school say the development will help meet the "significant need" for housing in Conwy County Borough.

"The proposed development will enable the Rydal Penrhos on-going development plans and estate rationalization to continue as it transforms from a boarding school to a day school," says the statement.

"By disposing of this site the school will be able to relocate the current preparatory and pre-school into an identified building on campus that is better suited to a future educational use and reduce the maintenance requirements of the school to enable them to focus on the improving and managing the required facilities, as opposed to surplus facilities."

"Overall,, as a result of the proposals, the Rydal Penrhos campus will be much improved and be able to be maintained much more efficiently."

Castle Green says the scheme, on plateaux based on the different levels of the site, has been designed to ensure that the heritage assets, notably Pwllycrochan House, and the woodland setting, are conserved and enhanced.

Castle Green is also seeking planning consent for 124 new dwellings, 12 of them affordable properties, off Upper Denbigh Road, St Asaph, on land earmarked for development in Denbighshire's local development plan.

The 12-acre site is to the southeast of the former HM Stanley Hospital which is already being developed and is close to St Kentigern Hospice and the offices of the Welsh Ambulance Services Trust.

From ..... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/development-firm-seeks-permission-build-21818104

Colwyn Bay .....Mum shares appalling pictures of injuries she endured at hands of ex-partner


Just awful, everyone who does this should go to jail for at least 5 years,

A mum-of-two has shared appalling pictures of injuries she suffered at the hands of her ex-partner.

Rebecca Mavin, 27, from Colwyn Bay posted the images on Facebook, which showed shocking bruises to her face, swollen lip, and cuts to her throat, inflicted by her ex Craig Pilkington, from Mochdre, Conwy.

Yet Pilkington won't spend time behind bars as his 20-week prison sentence was suspended for 18 months, which Rebecca believes is a "failure of the system

Rebecca has now bravely spoken about her ordeal at the hands of Pilkington and her profound disappointment with the justice system.

North Wales Police confirmed Pilkington, 34, of Ffordd Y Mynach, appeared before Llandudno Magistrates on Friday, October 22, and pleaded guilty to a charge of assault by beating.

Alongside his suspended jail term, he was also ordered to pay fines totaling £920 and was also made the subject of a restraining order.

Craig Pilkington, 34, of Ffordd Y Mynach, Mochdre appeared before Llandudno magistrates on Friday, October 22 and pleaded guilty to a charge of assault by beating
Craig Pilkington, 34, of Ffordd Y Mynach, Mochdre appeared before Llandudno magistrates on Friday, October 22 and pleaded guilty to a charge of assault by beating

Rebecca believes that the sentence was too lenient for the man who pinned her down on the floor and bit her nose.

She recalled how she saw "glimpses" of his "violent" nature in the initial few months of their relationship but having known Pilkington for many years through his sister, thought "anything I was ever told was just lies through a jealous ex-partner".

However, it was only on the night of Thursday, June 10 that these early insights progressed into an act of physical violence against her.

The couple had argued in the car on the way to Rebecca's home over an issue on social media, she said.

Becky said she is lucky to be alive after she was subjected to the brutal attack
Becky said she is lucky to be alive after she was subjected to the brutal attack 

As Rebecca left the car and was unlocking the door to her home, Pilkington pounced, throwing her to the floor and "biting her face", she said.

Rebecca said: "I begged him to stop to which he started biting my face and nose.

"I started screaming for help and at that point, he then tried to make me quiet by covering my mouth and holding my neck so hard the skin in my upper mouth had ripped.

Rebecca Mavin suffered lacerations across her throat and in her mouth after she was attacked by Craig Pilkington
Rebecca Mavin suffered lacerations across her throat and in her mouth after she was attacked by Craig Pilkington

"I've never been so scared in my life and I thought 'this is it he's going to kill me, I have children this vile, unprovoked attack could have taken me away from them.

"Thankfully my neighbor from upstairs came out after hearing my 'faint' screams from beyond his hands, as he opened his doors and Craig swiftly got off me and walked down the side of the building.

"At that moment I ran the other way and my neighbor let me in their home and called the police. As I awaited the police, I had no phone or keys as Craig took them with him. They found them on the road where he had thrown them as he left."

"People need to know, it's not acceptable for a male to hit a female, and it's okay for females to speak out about it.

"He pleaded guilty for the charges against him, and was still only given such a lenient sentence, what's it going to take?

"I understand, the sentence is something rather than nothing but he should have been locked up and the keys were thrown away, I feel like myself and many others have been let down by the justice system"

She added: "This man threw me across my garden, pinned me down on the floor, got on top of me, but my nose and face, and then pursued to put his hand over my mouth and neck until I couldn’t breathe.

Rebecca Mavin, from Colwyn Bay, was also bitten by ex Craig Pilkington
Rebecca Mavin, from Colwyn Bay, was also bitten by ex Craig Pilkington

"I believe I am lucky to be alive, it could have been worse, but to me, that was the worst.

"Raising awareness that these things are not okay is my aim going forward, I can't take back the past but I can hopefully prevent it from happening again."

Rebecca Mavin, from Colwyn Bay, was left with cuts and bruises on her face and neck
Rebecca Mavin, from Colwyn Bay, was left with cuts and bruises on her face and neck

Rebecca's mum, Christine, was the first to share the images online and wrote: "This is my daughter Bex. Vibrant. Strong. Beautiful. Energy. Life....is what I see.

Christine went on to say her daughter was "brutally attacked and bitten".

She added: “As a mum, it’s the worst when you get the call from the police...

“I have severely struggled with this as a parent these past months, But, Becky (Rebecca) you stood up for every woman out there who has suffered violent abuse.

"You are truly well-loved by your family and have many good friends who are there for you 24/7.

“I’m am extremely proud of your resilience despite your mental suffering and facial scars to stand up for what you believe in to help others, And you will always be my world.

North Wales Live approached the Ministry of Justice about Rebecca's concerns about the "lenient" sentence but they declined to comment.

From .... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mum-shares-horrific-pictures-injuries-21963920

Conwy.......Violent crime rose by 10 per cent during pandemic


No shock here, the only issue is that these people are not always getting jailed.

VIOLENT crime has risen in Conwy over the last year, despite a decrease in overall recorded crime across Wales and England.

North Wales Police recorded 5,054 incidents of violent crime in Conwy in the 12 months to June, according to the Office for National Statistics.

That was an increase of 11% compared to the previous year.

At 42.8 crimes per 1,000 people, that was far higher than the rate across Wales and England, which stood at 31.6.

One of the main factors behind the increase in Conwy was the rise in stalking and harassment, which rose by 33%, from 1,449 incidents to 1,924.

Offenses of violence with injury were recorded 1,160 times, an increase of 4% on the previous year, and violence without injury on 1,970 occasions, down by 1%.

Around 5.8 million offenses were recorded across England and Wales in the year to June – in line with the previous year – though there was a 3% decrease to 4.9 million offenses when excluding fraud and computer misuse.

Nick Stripe, head of crime statistics at the ONS, said the figures showed overall reductions in the reporting and recording of many crime types during periods of lockdown.

However, reports of fraud and hacking continued to rise – something the ONS previously suggested was due to criminals taking advantage of behavioral changes during the pandemic, while many took to online shopping amid lockdowns when there were restrictions on movement.

The total number of offenses in Conwy increased by 2%, with police recording 10,197 crimes over the course of the year.

This puts the overall crime rate at 86.3 per 1,000 people, compared to a national average of 81.3.

Other crimes recorded in Conwy included:

  • 393 sexual offenses, a decrease of 12%
  • 1,635 theft offenses, down 25%
  • 1,128 incidents of criminal damage and arson, down 11%
  • 314 drug offenses, up 15%
  • 57 possession of weapons such as firearms or knives, down one
  • 1,348 public order offenses, up 30%

The ONS figures show 61,158 rapes were recorded across England and Wales in the 12 months to June – the highest recorded annual figure to date, and up by 10% from 55,779 the year before.

The second-highest number of sexual offenses was also recorded over the period (164,763) – an 8% increase on the previous year.

The ONS urged caution when interpreting the data.

Mr. Stripe added: “The rise could be due to an increase in victim reporting as lockdowns eased, an increase in the number of victims, or to an increase in victims’ willingness to report incidents, potentially as a result of high-profile cases and campaigns in recent times.”

Jeffrey DeMarco, assistant director at the charity Victim Support, said: “Much more needs to be done urgently to tackle both these offenses and to ensure that those who come forward and report them are able to access justice.”

From ... https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19698216.violent-crime-rose-10-per-cent-conwy-pandemic/

Llandudno ..... Burglary in Rhos-on-Sea occurs while person is out enjoying fireworks


 What a lowdown dirty thing to do. I hope these scum are caught.

A RESIDENT was burgled while out watching the fireworks.

This happened in Whitehall Road in Rhos-on-Sea.

NWP Community Safety tweeted: "The suspects gained entry by force through a rear door.

"Please remember if you are going out in the evening leave a light on to make your home look occupied."

From https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19703590.burglary-rhos-on-sea-occurs-person-enjoying-fireworks/